So you’ve had an offer accepted on a property, secured an offer from the mortgage company, appointed a solicitor and now you have your moving date. Or perhaps you are a renter and are rapidly approaching the end of your tenancy agreement.
Regardless of your situation, moving house can be stressful! There’s so much to do and with your moving date looming closer it can be a little bit overwhelming.
But you can do it, and we want to help.
Here at Evesham Transport, we’ve helped a lot of customers move house and we have some tips to help reduce your stress when you move. Today we’re giving you a suggested timeline to help you get organised. You can also check out our list of 20 packing tips to make your move easier.
Now, we appreciate that your ‘to do’ list will vary based on your house, who lives with you and what you have in your house. But you should be able to adapt this timeline to suit you.
6 weeks before
- Start decluttering
- Meal plan
- Gather packing materials and create a packing station / box with all your supplies
- Book Evesham Transport Ltd as your removal company
- Pack art work, seasonal decorations, off-season clothing & photo albums
- Book time off
4 weeks before
- Inform utilities companies & schools (if relevant) of your moving plans
- Start packing non-essentials i.e books, dvds, household decor
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your change of address
- Arrange childcare or pet care
- Make sure your insurance covers you from your moving date
3 weeks before
- Arrange new services – broadband, tv, phone etc
- Check out the contents of your freezer and cupboards and try to eat what you have and shop less so you don’t have to move so much
- Set up post redirection with Royal Mail ready for when you move
- Continue to pack non-essentials e.g. spare bedding/towels, less commonly used kitchen items (mixer, cake tins, baking supplies), guest crockery etc
2 weeks before
- Continue to pack non-essentials
- Arrange tv licence for new property
- Deep clean your fridge and white appliances
- Confirm your moving date with Evesham Transport Ltd
1 week before
- Pack everything except what you will need for the week and move
- Thoroughly clean your home
- Create a moving day survival kit full of the things you’ll need on the day – e.g tools, kettle, mugs, tea/coffee, bottled water, torch, scissors etc.
- Create a first night box – include bedding, pjs, kids soft toys, nightlights etc.
The day before
- Defrost and clean out your freezer
- Check you have everything you need in your survival kit and first night box
- Take pictures of your electric / gas / water metre readings on your phone
- Do a final walkthrough to check everything’s ready to go
- Keep your moving survival kit and first night boxes with you and easy to access (they should go in last ideally) – Trying popping them on your driver’s seat until you are ready to leave
- Step back and let Evesham Transport handle your move for you
- Set up and make your beds sooner rather than later – you won’t want to be doing it at the end of a long day
- Treat yourself to your favourite takeaway & a glass of wine (if you can find your glassware)