When you are moving house there is so much to consider and one of the biggest decisions you need to make is whether you should move house yourself or hire a moving company to do it for you.
The decision usually comes down to your budget, how much you are moving, how far you are moving, your physical capabilities and what help you have available.
Generally speaking, a diy move is usually a lot more stressful than hiring movers but its also cheaper And whilst hiiring in movers is more expensive, its usually quicker and a lot less hassle.
So which do you choose, should you do a DIY house move or hire in professional movers? In today’s post we weigh up the pros and cons of each.
DIY House Move
- It’s cheaper – When you hire professional movers, you are hiring not only the moving van but also the movers themselves and as you are paying for their time, it tends to be more expensive. If you don’t have much to move, aren’t moving far and have a few friends who can help, its often much cheaper to pack up your vehicles and make a few trips to move your things. Check out our post on budget friendly tips for moving for advice on having a cost-effective move.
- You have total control over the move – Moving house yourself offers more flexibility, you can change your mind over your moving date, decide how to pack and how you transport things.
- More privacy and security of items – Moving yourself is less invasive and more secure as you won’t have strangers in your house.
- Moving arrangements – You’ll probably need to hire a moving truck unless you have friends with a fleet of vehicles at your disposal or know a ‘man with a van’
- It’s less efficient to pack up a moving truck if you do it yourself so you are more likely to need to make more trips which can end up costing more in fuel.
- Your belongings are more likely to be damaged if not packed properly or not transported with care.
- Your insurance might not protect you if something gets damaged or lost
- It’s more stressful – more likely to lead to household arguments, is moving house really worth your relationship?
- It tends to involve a lot of heavy lifting
- Requires a lot of planning
- Can take longer to do the physical move on the day
- Might be harder to schedule as you have to wait until your friends are free to help
- Additional unexpected costs – e.g. fuel for extra trips
Professional Home Removals
- Less stressful – you’ll have an experienced team to handle everything for you.
- A professional team can quickly and efficiently move your items in
- More efficient at packing and likely to have multiple sized vehicles in fleet to move your things – Minimising the number of loads / trips required to move your belongings
- Fully insured so if anything gets broken or lost you’ll be covered
- You’ll usually have 2 movers who are physically able to move your items and won’t have to move things yourself
- An experienced team will have the expertise making it easier to get your items in (e.g. getting large sofa’s through your front door)
- Costs – hiring professional removers can be more expensive as you’ll quote will include payments towards the vehicle (and expenses), the salaries of the movers and general overheads
- Less control – you’ll have less say over the move. The movers will be the ones making most of the decisions
- Scheduling challenges – you’ll need to ensure that the company is available on the day you wish to move. If you need to reschedule due to a change of dates there’s no guarantee the moving company will be able to accommodate you.
- Less privacy and security – the movers will see your items and will be coming into your home and touching your things.
Made up your mind?
If you’ve decided to use professional home movers why not consider using Evesham Transport to move your belongings to your new home.
Why choose Evesham Transport to help you move house
- Offers UK wide removals
- Has over 10 years of experience
- Delivers your items straight to the relevant rooms
- Will treat your items as if they were our own
- Can be flexible around your scheduling dates
- Are fully insured
- Can help with packing and disassembly of your furniture (additional service)
To book Evesham Transport as your removal company or to ask us any questions you might have, please use the contact form or call us on 01386 244452. Our friendly team will be happy to assist you with your enquiry.