Are you moving home soon? Moving to a new home is an exciting journey, filled with anticipation and fresh beginnings. But with so many jobs to do – packing, unpacking and placing furniture it’s easy to overlook one essential step in the process – Post-move cleaning. This is particularly the case if your new property has previously been lived in. Their cleaning standards and methods are unlikely to be the same as yours. Besides, post-move cleaning isn’t just about scrubbing floors and wiping windows; it’s about creating a clean slate for your new life and making your house feel like a home.
In today’s post we’ll offer our top tips on getting your new home clean and ready for you to move into on moving day. Whether you’re a first-time homeowner or a seasoned mover, our tips will help you create a welcoming and hygienic space.
The Essential Pre-Cleaning Supplies
Before you start your post-move cleaning, it’s essential to have the right tools for a job. That means gathering all your cleaning supplies ready to go. These items are vital in helping you to achieve a thorough and effective clean.
Here’s a list of the essential pre-cleaning supplies you’ll need:
- Cleaning Supplies:
- Broom and dustpan
- Mop and bucket
- Vacuum cleaner
- Microfiber cloths
- Sponges and scrub brushes
- Bin bags
- Cleaning Tools:
- Rubber gloves
- Extension duster
- Window squeegee
- Bristle brush
- Lint roller
- All-purpose cleaner:
- Glass cleaner
- Disinfectant wipes or spray
- Floor cleaner
- Oven cleaner:
- Bathroom cleaner
We’d also suggest getting a cleaning caddy to pop your items in to make it easier to move from room to room.
Once you’ve gathered all your supplies together it’s time to start cleaning so put on those gloves, and let’s get started with making your new house shine!
Room-by-Room Cleaning Checklist
- Start with the kitchen, as it tends to accumulate the most grime.
- Clean the inside of the cabinets and drawers. Wipe down shelves and organisers.
- Clean appliances thoroughly, including the oven, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher.
- Scrub the sink and faucets, and disinfect countertops.
- Don’t forget to clean light fixtures and switch plates.
- Sweep and mop the floor, paying attention to corners and baseboards.
- Empty and clean the rubbish bin. Replace with a fresh liner.
- Polish stainless steel appliances for a shiny finish.
- Scrub the bathtub or shower, tiles, and grout. Remove any soap scum.
- Clean and disinfect the toilet, including the seat, bowl, and tank.
- Wipe down countertops, sinks, and faucets.
- Clean mirrors with a streak-free glass cleaner.
- Wash and sanitise bathroom fixtures, such as towel racks and toilet paper holders.
- Sweep and mop the bathroom floor.
- Replace the shower curtain liner if applicable.
- Empty and clean the bathroom trash can, and restock with fresh liners.
Living Areas and Bedrooms:
- Dust all surfaces, including shelves, bookcases and cupboards
- Vacuum and clean upholstery, including sofas and chairs.
- Wipe down furniture, including coffee tables and bookshelves.
- Clean and dust electronics and entertainment centres.
- Clean light fixtures, lampshades, and replace bulbs if necessary.
- Vacuum or clean under and behind furniture.
- Launder or dry-clean curtains and drapes.
- Vacuum and/or clean the floors (carpet, hardwood, or tile).
Laundry / Utility Room:
- Clean the lint trap and exhaust hose in the tumble dryer.
- Wipe down the washing machine and dryer, including knobs and control panels.
- Clean shelves and storage areas.
- Dust and clean any exposed pipes or vents.
- Sweep and mop the floor, paying attention to any stains or spills.
- Disinfect surfaces like countertops and sink where applicable
- Organise and label laundry supplies for easy access.
Remember to work methodically from top to bottom, tackling one room at a time. Having a well-organised cleaning checklist or graphic can be a helpful visual aid to ensure you don’t miss any key cleaning tasks. By following these room-specific tips in the right order, your new home will be ready for you to unpack in no time at all.
Cleaning After Unpacking
Once you’ve successfully unpacked, you might start to feel like you’re finally settling into your new home. However, before you put you kick off those shoes and start relaxing, it might be worth just doing one more round of post-move cleaning once you’ve unpacked.
Why? You might be wondering, after all you cleaned before you unpacked do you really need to clean again? Can’t you just enjoy your new home? Well, there are a few reasons to carry out a final clean- –
1. Dust Accumulation: Unpacking inevitably stirs up dust that may have settled during the moving process. A second cleaning round helps eliminate any airborne particles, ensuring that your home remains dust-free. If you have asthma sufferers in the household this can be particularly helpful at removing any extra dust.
2. Forgotten Corners: While packing, you may have focused on storing your items rather than cleaning them. A post-unpacking clean ensures that your items, appliances etc are clean and won’t transfer dirt to their new homes.
3. Fresh Start: A second cleaning round symbolises a fresh start after the chaos of moving. It’s an opportunity to refine the cleanliness and organisation of your home.
4. Settling In: By ensuring your home is spotless after unpacking, you can truly settle in and enjoy your new space without worrying about lingering dirt or dust.
6. Peace of Mind: Knowing that your new home is thoroughly clean gives you peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment. You can relax and enjoy your surroundings with confidence.
A second round of cleaning after unpacking isn’t just about tidying up; it’s about ensuring a pristine and welcoming environment. By addressing dust accumulation, reaching forgotten corners, and maintaining a sense of cleanliness, you can enhance your overall moving experience. So, roll up your sleeves and give your new home that final, fresh touch that will make it truly yours.
A Fresh Start For You and Your Family
In the whirlwind of moving to a new home, the significance of a post-move cleaning can sometimes be underestimated. However, it’s essential to emphasise that a clean, well-kept environment has a profound impact on how you settle into your new home. As you embark on your journey in your new home, remember that post-move cleaning is not just a chore; it’s the final step in making your space truly yours. By embracing the process and utilising our provided cleaning checklist, you’re setting the stage for a fresh start, comfort, and peace of mind. Enjoy your new home and make it a welcoming haven where you create cherished memories.